Facebook page: Me and The Girls

Saturday, October 30, 2010

And so it begins...

I wish that I had read a blog about the 3 Day when I signed up last February.  I wish I had known someone who had experienced it, and could have told me what to expect.  But instead I went in blind...

For those who don't know what this is:  The Susan G. Komen 3 Day for the Cure is a 60 mile, 3 day walk held in different cities on different weekends all over the country throughout the summer and fall each year, raising wonderfully insane amounts of money for breast cancer research.  I signed up for the Washington DC 2010 walk, held October 8th-10th.  In order to participate, you and each team member (if you are on a team) have to raise a minimum of $2,300. 

Yes, that's an astonomical amount to raise!  Insane!  If you've ever tried to sell something or fundraise in any form, you KNOW how hard that is!  I could barely get anyone to look at a brochure from my children's school, yet I signed up to raise $2,300.  I had NO idea how I was going to pull that off, but at the Get Started informational meeting last February, I signed up anyway.  And I brought 2 of my sister-in-laws with me, in hopes that if I was going to do this, someone would be willing to do this with me.  They were crazy enough to sign up too!  So now full of enthusiasm, we were registered as walkers, and team Me and The Girls was born.  Of course we had no idea how to even begin to raise that amount of money.  But together we agreed to give it a try.

The very next night I set up my Susan G. Komen website, where I posted my story about why I wanted to walk and how much I wanted to raise, and to my astonishment I put $3,000 as my goal to raise!  Not exactly sure what I was thinking there...   After that the first step was to write letters and email/ mail them to everyone I had any kind of address for. 

More tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment